The Iowa Heart Foundation will host its first “Walk With a Doc” walking event in Fort Dodge to take a step towards better health on Thursday, May 12, at 12:00 noon starting at the Unity Point Health-Trinity Regional Medical Center front doors at 802 Kenyon Road in Fort Dodge. This free event, which is part of a nationally recognized community walking program, will be led by Dr. John Justice of the Iowa Heart Center.
Walkers will enjoy a refreshing, rejuvenating walk in the neighborhood surrounding the Health Center. Water will be available. The event is open to all ages with parking at Unity Point Health-Trinity Regional Health Center.
Dr. Justice, an Iowa Heart Center Cardiologist, will provide a brief health-related discussion and will participate in the walk. He will be available to answer questions and encourage participants. The Walk With A Doc events will be scheduled thereafter at the Fort Dodge location the second Thursday of each month (June through October).
Walk with a Doc is a walking program for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. What better way to start your day than to get on your feet and make strides to help your heart and improve your general health to live longer! Think walking is not that beneficial? Well, think again…….
- Walking strengthens your heart—it is great cardio exercise, increases HDL (good) cholesterol and helps prevent and control high blood pressure.
- Walking lowers risk of Type 2 diabetes by 60 percent.
- Walking helps you lose weight—burn 99 calories by walking 3 mph for 30 minutes!
- Walking boosts Vitamin D if walk outdoors in the sunshine.
- Walking gives you energy—a brisk walk is a natural energizer! It boosts circulation and increases oxygen supply to every cell in the body.
- Walking improves your mood—a brisk walk is just as effective as an anti-depressant in mild to moderate cases of depression.
Walk with a Doc is a national non-profit organization with a mission to encourage healthy physical activity in people of all ages, and reverse the consequences of a sedentary lifestyle in order to improve the health and well-being of the country. Future walk dates at other locations will be announced by the Iowa Heart Foundation at www.iowaheartfoundation.org , and on the Walk With a Doc website at www.walkwithadoc.org.