The Iowa Heart Foundation will host a “Walk With a Doc’ event to take steps towards better health monthly (May – October) at four Iowa Heart Center office locations in Ames, Fort Dodge, Ottumwa, and West Des Moines, Iowa. This free event, which is part of a nationally recognized community walking program, will be led by providers from each Iowa Heart Center location. Walkers will enjoy a refreshing, rejuvenating walk in the neighborhood surrounding each office. Water will be available. The event is open to all ages with parking at the Iowa Heart Center offices. Local providers will provide a brief health-related discussion and will participate in the walk.
Walk with a Doc is a walking program for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. What better way to start your day than to get on your feet and make strides to help your heart and improve your general health to live longer! Think walking is not that beneficial? Well, think again….
- Walking strengthens your heart—it is great cardio exercise, increases HDL (good)cholesterol and helps prevent and control high blood pressure.
- Walking lowers risk of Type 2 diabetes by 60%.
- Walking helps you lose weight-burn 99 calories by walking 3 mph for 30 minutes!
- Walking boosts Vitamin D if you walk outdoors in the sunshine.
- Walking gives you energy—a brisk walk is a natural energizer! It boosts circulation and increases oxygen supply to every cell in the body.
- Walking improves your mood—a brisk walk is just as effective as an anti-depressant in mild to moderate cases of depression.
Join the providers and healthcare staff at the Iowa Heart Center and Iowa Heart Foundation in stepping out to reduce cardiovascular disease! Further information regarding Iowa Heart Foundation events may be found at www.iowaheartfoundation.org.