Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health. Many diseases, conditions, and ailments can be prevented or even healed by participating in regular physical activity. Fortunately, even moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as walking can provide these health benefits.
Benefits of Walking
- Physical and mental benefits
- Maintaining or obtaining a healthy weight
- Decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Decreased blood pressure and improved cholesterol
- Prevention and management of type 2 diabetes and arthritis pain
- Lowered risk of depression and improved mood
- See 100 Reasons to Walk below!
How often should you walk?
- The CDC recommends that adults should aim for 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week (about 20-30 minutes/day)
- What is considered moderate-intensity? Use the “talk test” – if you can talk, but not sing, you’re at the right pace
- Pair with 2 days/week of muscle-strengthening activities
- Children should participate in 60 minutes of physical activity daily
- Walk, run, bike, swim, hike, dance – it doesn’t matter, just move
Ways to get active
- Find ways to enjoy physical activity!
- Make it fun by including your family, friends and pets
- Find things you love to do while incorporating movement
- Take the stairs
- Park further away in the parking lot
- Host walking meetings at work
- Move during commercial breaks